12.8.13

The Holiday Series: Hand Luggage

handluggage1
  
Going on holiday takes tons of planning, stress and in my experience... sitting on suitcases. I'm a pathological over-packer. An eight day getaway to some beach paradise means I'll take a fully packed suitcase with thirty outfit changes, half my shoe collection and a clutch in every color of the rainbow. I often even pack a large chunky sweater. What? It might be cold. 

Let's face it, it isn't going to be cold. You don't require five different kinds of black shorts, or seven pairs of sandals, or god forbid eightteen shades of pink lipstick. My packing habits need to be controlled, and this seems like the perfect way to do it and get some content up on her as well. Double whammy. I'll be jetting off to sunny Tunisia by next Tuesday, August 20th, for a well deserved and much needed break away from all the stress and worries of the last year. Eight days of doing nothing, lounging at the beach with a cocktail in my hand. Perfection. 

But what do I pack? In a series of three posts that will be published over the course of the week I'll discuss three themes of holiday packing. First in this series, the carry-on/hand luggage. 

Hand luggage tends to be a difficult subject when it comes to packing. With specific restrictions with each airline telling you what you can and cannot carry on board with you. General hand luggage weight limits are set at 10kg/22lbs, but it depends which airline you're taking and what class you're travelling in. 

There are quite a bit of beauty related items I want to pack in my hand luggage. Airplane climates are terrible for my already dry skin, so hydration is a must. But what can be packed, and more importantly, how should it be packed? Because I can't imagine anything worse than seeing your precious creams chucked into a large bin at the security check. 

Any liquid or gel can be taken onto a plane provided it is packed in a clear re-seal-able bag (like a Ziploc) and the packaging doesn't hold more than 100ml. For example your 30ml bottle of BB cream is allowed and a 300ml bottle of water filled a quarter of the way up isn't. You also can't take more than 1000ml. Anything that you can smear is considered a gel. That includes lipstick, moisturizer, masks, hand cream, etc.. Fun but slightly confusing fact, lip balm is not considered a gel by most airlines and can be thrown into your luggage without having to be put in the plastic bag.

So what am I actually packing onto my trip? You got a little preview at the top of the post but there is a more detailed shot below.

handluggagedetails

Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm | Shu Uemora lash curler | La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Tinted SPF50+ | The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist | Dove Minimising deodorant | Bourjois cream blush in 02 | Origins Drink Up Intensive mask (decanted) | Anastasia clear brow gel | Anti bac hand gel | cotton pads | L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic mascara | L'Oreal Skin Perfection 3-in-1 micellar solution (decanted) | OPI Avoplex cuticle oil | L'Occitane Honey hand cream | cotton swabs | hair bands & some pins

Besides those beauty related items I'm also packing my camera, my iPad and the magazine I used to display the products above. My Ray Ban folding wayfarers are also in my bag, great when you come off the plane and are thrust into the searing hot climate. A small notebook is an everyday essential no matter where I go. And you can't really go travelling without your passport and travel documents. I have a great cobalt blue case for my passport, tickets, some change and my credit card. Quite handy when your running around an airport. Tax free shopping, anyone?

And if you're wondering if the mass of stuff pictured above will easily fit into a 1000ml Ziploc bag? Then feast your eyes on the picture below. It took some twisting and turning but I have my in-flight essentials ready for my trip.

handluggagepackedallowed 

1 comment:

  1. You beauty bag looks like it is full of lovely products! Enjoy your trip :)

    Lorraine xx
    http://lollikelly.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete